Monday, December 11, 2006

Daycare/Outreach

Dec 9, 2006 was the day we went on our InTACT class’ exposure trip. I must admit that my initial feelings towards the trip was of general annoyance, but fortunately, by the end of the trip, a new, more powerful feeling had taken over my being… the feeling of sheer contempt. I, with all due respect, unfortunately have to say that I found the trip rather pointless. I will have to applaud the OSCI and the InTACT coordinators for coming up with such a wonderful idea, but of course when ideas aren’t properly put into action, or if ideas are enacted in faultily… well, things like this do happen. We played with kids. That’s exactly what we did. That is ALL we did. Exposures are supposed to be about seeing the reality of an undernourished poverty, and that of a gross state of inequality. It’s about peeking into the lives of those who are hidden behind colorful facades. It’s about how these people feel, about seeing what is wrong in our society. What do we do instead? We peek into the lives of the percentage of the population where inequality is lowest… in children… By the end of the day, I was disgusted… “How did you find the activity?” “It was a fun learning experience!” Exposures shouldn’t be fun… they are supposed to be gross… disturbing…

No comments: