Monday, July 07, 2008

Friend is a Broken Word

Step one you say we need to talk
He walks you say sit down it's just a talk

Unknowingly, you entered the car, the four of us facing you, smiling, sharing drinks, chips, trapping you by locking the door. You never knew I knew. I didn't want to believe them. I didn't want to lose you.


He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through

Plastic smiles, while in truth, my soul was tearing me apart. Your laugh, the innocence of your situation... This is a trap. This is our trap. We've caught you. I didn't want to.


Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right

"Hey, did you know something went wrong while we were together?" Let them lay the blame. They say it was you. I don't want that to be true. I can't do it. I will not admit losing you until I need to.


Between the lines of fear and blame
And you begin to wonder why you came

"Really? It wasn't me!"


Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness

All you needed to do was to talk to me. I shared my soul with you. All I needed was for you to show you trusted me. You don't after all.


And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

We would have been there. Too bad you didn't care.


Let him know that you know best
Cause after all you do know best

"We're here to help." We all mean what we say. You are a friend. We're here together aren't we? AREN'T WE!?!?!?!?


Try to slip past his defense
Without granting innocence

"Have you NOTHING to tell me? NOTHING is wrong? This is ME! We're friends... we're friends..."


Lay down a list of what is wrong
The things you've told him all along

Proof spills out indefinetely, and her face whitens in fear and shock. "Fine. it's true. Now leave."


And pray to God he hears you
And pray to God he hears you

My heart wrenches. Fom her mouth, came the bitter truth that is both pain and salvation. My hands begin to tremble, and my eyes begin to water. It's about you. It's not about what you've done. We're your friends, not the friends of your actions.


Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness

You treat it as if you were forced to admit. it's as if we were only after our losses. We're NOT HERE FOR YOUR ACTIONS. WE'RE HERE FOR YOU! WE'RE YOUR FRIENDS! NOT THE FRIENDS OF YOUR ACTIONS! We're still your friends.


And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

You will probably never show yourself to us again. As if anyone else would ever entreat you to. I HATE YOU. You never even bothered to trust us. You never trusted me. I trusted you... even through everything you did to me.


As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and grant him one last choice

I wish you'd just let it all out. Your silence proves your arrogance. We may have caught you, but we can never take your dignity. Is that it?


Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed

"Just don't do it again." She won't listen to us. She listens to the fear of being caught.


He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything

You admitted to everthing after all. We gain what we have lost, but we lose you. Was it worth losing you? I hope not...


Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

I don't know why I still cry at night over you. I don't think you deserve anyone's tears. It's just that I promised to be your friend forever, and you did too.


Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness

I just wanted you to trust me, like I trusted you. Although I really can't, I did. I still do. I believe in you.


And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

In the end, I really have no power over your life. None at all. I don't know if I can ever believe you again, but I will trust you. I will trust you with my life. You are still my friend. I still love you.

No comments: