April Fools Day is when you're supposed to make fools of other people. I know that most people our age think it's a pseudo-holiday for kids and old retirees who have nothing better to do with their lives than put whoopie cushions on the wicker rocking chairs of their beloved wife of 45 years. The reality is though that although we deny it, we do think about making mischief on this day of days. It's a cultural imperative to want to trick someone on April Fools. Since we as studious young adults restrain ourselves from such childish behaviour, all that repressed mischief builds up in the atmosphere and creates havoc on it's own. Call it paranormal psychology or psychological directive of the collective unconscious; whatever the reason, this day is a day to look out for. Something is bound to go awry. I on my part can only share what I have experienced on this day. It seems like an everyday occurrence, but the circumstances are beyond reason.
I took my final oral exam today for Philosophy class. I checked my cellphone and my planner, and they both stated that my appointment was at 3:00 p.m. at De la Costa consultation room 6. I am sure that I had written down the time and place properly on my planner and phone, as I did so a few seconds after signing up for the exam. I woke up at 7 and decided to leave the house at 10. I arrived in Ateneo at 11:00. I returned my library books, which I calculated would have an overdue fine of Php755. I calculated properly. The librarian charged Php550. I asked her to check again. Then she corrected herself. It was Php575. I didn't bother objecting again lest she was to raise the fine by virtue of her annoyance. This is the same librarian I asked for "Pinoy Hotness" from. At 11:30, I checked De la Costa for my schedule, just to make sure, and I discovered that my schedule wasn't at 3:00 p.m., it was at 10:00 a.m. I had missed my oral exam. That meant I would get an F for 30% of my Philo grade. I was silently hysterical. I sat on the outside of the room door, with an idiotic look on my face, and multiple gargantuan explosions in my psyche. The door opened, and I saw my professor sitting on his chair staring at me. He motioned me to move towards him. I did so. He asked me what happened. I answered that I had honestly thought that my exam would be at 3. He then looked at the time and motioned me to sit on the chair in front of his. "Shall we begin?" His words were saving grace to me.
I finished my oral exams, and was now running as far away as I could from De la Costa Hall. I then took a tricycle to the pet store along Katipunan to buy my cat's special kibble for kidney problems. The saleslady then said they had none of such a specialized kind of food. She then asked me if I had kidney problems. I will leave you to imagine my annoyed and extremely sarcastic response. I then took a cab to Tiendesitas. I was sure that they would have the specialized kibble. I looked around for an hour, and found that only one shop carried the special cat food that I needed. Unfortunately for me, that certain store is closed on Tuesdays. Annoyed and extremely tired, I was forced to walk to my mother's new office in Ortigas Center. She then instructed me to buy 5 cans of the cat food, and she gave me the money for it. She said she was sure that the pet shop in Robinson's Galleria had the kibble. I walked around Galleria twice, and I asked 5 different guards. There is no pet store in Galleria. My mother is seeing pet stores. They haunt her at night. Again annoyed, I walked to SM Megamall. It was there that I was able to buy the cat food. Finally. I then took a taxi to Ayala, thinking to maybe stop for a drink in Coffee Bean Greenbelt before heading home. The taxi magically stopped a few hundred meters away from Greenbelt. It had a flat tire, which is entirely not my fault. It stopped right in front of the Mc Donald's at Paseo Square along Paseo de Roxas Ave. I got off and decided to take my lunch in Mc Donald's. The server looked familiar, so I in my boldness asked if I had seen her before. She used to work in Mc Donald's Glorietta, and she remembered me from 4 years ago. Our long term memories are good. She was a trainee back then, and I bought a Coke float from her. I was her first customer. Needless to say, we chatted.
After lunch, I took another taxi to the house. Then I walked in my room and saw my cousin topless, using my computer. His perspiration beading it's way onto the keyboard. I now have to burn my laptop. Now, here I am, writing this. I just realized something; that last semester's last day was an odd experience as well. Maybe it's that, or maybe it is psychological directive of the collective unconscious. Maybe it's coincidence. I could never be sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment