Tuesday, December 20, 2005

On Social Norms

I sometimes post philosophical crap, as this will be. I don't use notes, or memorize theories, or define what method of thought I'm using, but rather I like to just think. I had a thought... Man is obliged to follow a certain path in regards to growing up. He is required to follow social norms, and act within the bounds of proper social behaviour. How a man should act has been scrutinized so severely, that a single act out of norm is deemed unacceptable. Who created these norms anyway? Back in olden times, specifically the period from the 13-15th century, the church was the defining body of the time's social norms. The social norms were well thought of, and people obliged out of fear of God. The problem though with the times social norms was it was too hindering, as it provided little space for scientific discovery to grow. To show how contempted scientists and philosophers were back then, let me quote Dante Alighieri, the great Italian poet. In his work "Il Purgatorio" he describes The Intellectuals as being stuck in Limbo, forever doomed not to see their creator because they seeked knowledge to a grave extent. This shows us the contempt of Dante for intellectuals, although he being one himself. We can imagine most Italians of that time, smack center of the Catholic world having the same ideologies spread by the Church, or even other religions. Over time, the Church's power waned, but in some cultures it still influences social norms. In most countries though, the biggest norm setter is media. On that I have nothing more to be said. When we think about it, social norms are there to protect society, but I believe their initial purpose was to keep respected those who demanded it. We look further back in time to the BCE. Social norms began with the fact that you should respect the leader. Respecting a higher official, which is ananimalistic trait, was the beggining of social norms. From there, man evolved to include respect of your clan, then respect of your community, then of your fellowman. Take into account though that social norms, as we see them develop, are created to protect primarily ourselves. That would be man's selfish nature.

No comments: