Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's Quezon Avenue in Katipunan

In one of our group's post mortem meetings for Ph104 (we die in Fr. David's class, then we meet to discuss how we died.) We were talking ethics, when the conversation suddenly turned from Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics to part-time jobs. One of us in the group was looking for a way to make some extra money to be able to start up her future through a business, or through investments. She related that she was at Quezon Ave. at 11 P.M. last night looking for job/racket opportunities, and as it IS Quezon Ave., our brains automatically jumped to prostitution. I know, we are adolescent pigs. Of course it was all in jest, and we all had a good laugh discussing why she wouldn't have made a good prostitute. She sleeps at 9 P.M. nightly, so I'd think by the time the meat market (wth) is at it's peak, she would have long been asleep. Hahaha, sexuality without law: the topic of the day :). Anyway, then the topic shifted to drug pushing, as she could sell drugs and herself, we jested. She then of course replied that she was above drugs and prostitution, but one of her friends is the Marijuana supplier of the Ateneo smoker's pocket gardens. This is when things turned... revealing? I'll leave the aesthetic judgment to the reader... We talked about how her friend sells weed on campus, and sometimes even to the girl's school next door. In the spirit of jest, we inquired if it was sold per bag, or pre rolled, by box, etc. Fact of the matter is though that although I have known of the smocket Marijana market for a while now, I had never known how intricate the system was until it was narrated to us by a second hand observer. Names were never revealed, but the reality that a pusher was in such a seemingly close approximation to us was uncanny. Feeling a bit awkward as how thorough the discussion on the campus pusher was getting, we shifted back to prostitution, asking if anybody thought there were any prostitutes in the Ateneo. I personally know of one, not a prostitute really, but rather a man that likes the objectification he gets from being a "toy." I know, major attention issues abound, but are you really a prostitute if you're not after the money, rather the attention? The guy I know sometimes gives his fee away as mass offering, as in reality, he really doesn't need the money. The prostitution topic of course deviated from Atenean bounds, as it is hard to find prostitutes among the middle class I suspect. I could be wrong. Anyway... it's just odd, seeing deviance under a wider scope. I know, there are more intricate stories to tell, but again, I have beeen sheltered in a relatively pristine Catholic bubble. If it wasn't for my quick to wander feet, and the places I've ventured because of them, I would probably be in a seminary right now.

No comments: