Saturday, January 03, 2009

I Don't Shine if You Don't Shine.

Internet access. Finally.

It's finally 2009. A year before the presidential elections, a year since my little Maki was born, and the year of my beloved university's sesquicentennial. It's the year that economists have labelled as the year worse than 2008. It's the year that we all look for new beginnings. Carl goes to CCA, Anjo goes to work, my med friends go to med school, the others will find jobs, Thea takes her classes seriously, Sanny, Meg, Iris, and many other of my batchmates graduate. It's a big year for my social circle, and screw what economists have to say. 2009 will be our year.

Before my sagely prophesies of the coming year, allow me to deviate a month back so I may as one final 2008 act, reminisce. Auld Lang Syne. This will be a numerical enumeration because you lazyheads are too prissy to read my semi-long paragraphs.

1. Whatever magic the holidays have, it's reserved only for those 17 and below. I blame Theology for not feeling the season of joy. The rationalizations for celebrating Christmas taught to me by the pseudo-theologians in my primary school have been burned by the socio-theological reality of splagchnizomai.

2. Since my mother had to work Christmas eve and new year's eve, I was left to do all the cooking. Cooking all those high quality dishes (not to brag) is exhausting. Remind me never to cook mushroom pilaf stuffed lemon chicken ever again. It's not worth the work. I also did my mother's Christmas shopping. I did mine months in advance to avoid the rush, but pasaway beloved mother just couldn't spend a September day to shop. OMG I hate Ayala Center in December. I can imagine what 168 is like a few days away from Christmas. (Can someone say Mooo?)

Main Dishes for Christmas:

a. Mushroom Pilaf Stuffed Lemon Chicken

b. Salted Dry Fish Puttanesca (Puttaneskang Tuyo)

c. Pineapple Roasted Ham

d. Porter Beans (family recipe, since 1800s)

3. Our maid forgot to tell us to buy Eukanuba for Maki (my puppy-pug) so we had to feed him table scraps on the 25th. The whole of the 25th and 26th, Maki was lethargic, to the point that he didn't move his torso for hours at a time. When he did walk, which was rare that day, he would wobble and trip on himself. We were worried, until we discovered that the maid fed him the beans from Noche Buena. Our family's secret bean recipe, handed down from generation to generation, requires a sizeable amount of red wine. My dog ate only that for a day and a half. I have a small dog. My dog was drunk. Inibriated puppies are NOT cute.

4. As expected, I am chef for a day yet again for New Year. It was coop work with a family friend and later on mom. I couldn't do all that alone after all. Ironic enough, the hardest to cook was the Kwek-Kwek.

Main Dishes for New Year:

a. Beer Soaked Lemon Fish Fritters

b. Jollibee Style Spaghetti (ketchup, hotdogs, and all!)

c. Pineapple Roasted Ham

d. Gourmet Kwek-Kwek (yes Anjo, I am a hypocrite.)

e. Seafood and Quail Egg Pea Soup

f. Pepperoni and Potato Salad

g. Salami and Parmesan Sandwiches

h. Beef Caldereta

5. A deviation from the festive complaining. I will complain about politics. CORY APOLOGIZED TO ERAP. What the fuck. "I'm sorry man who was blatantly corrupt, blatantly adulterous, and was even found guilty of plunder. I should not have supported your ouster." A newspaper article relates that her apology was made as a joke. You don't joke about these things. You don't make a solid statement only to say "joke!" This isn't Banana Split. Another article relayed that Erap was gentlemanly and very courteous to Cory, that's why she couldn't really find it in her heart to divorce herself from the concept of Erap as good guy. WOMEN! What the hell is wrong with her brain's decision making center? Not to be crude, but I'm pretty sure her Cancer's waaay off it. Speaking of her Cancer... it doesn't give her an excuse to go around acting the "suffering servant." What a poseur. Your time is over. Frankly, your time SUCKED. "I'm sorry Marcos, I shouldn't have supported your ouster. She's inept and caused even more problems for our country." I don't really mean that. It's just that that's basically what Cory said. Okay... done... I'll keep away from the CARP issue since some "intellectuals" who think they know the real deal and shout "preferential option for the poor" waaaaay to often without actually searching for the best option for the poor will get mad. Ugh.

6. Anyway... I had lots of plans for 2008. I said I would go to the gym. I did... for 2 weeks. Hahahahaha! I had the go somewhere project, where I would, once a week, go somewhere I haven't been before within the Metro, then at the end of the year, I would take a trip by myself to Paoay or Baguio. It lasted up until Fr. David made life a reading hell. The reading was worth it though. I did go some cool places alone though... Balete drive, U.P., U.S.T., J. Ruiz and the surrounding areas, Avenida, the deep recesses of Chinatown... SM North EDSA ... and many other cool, sometimes weird places :)

7. Oh and thanks to my med friends (plus Carl and Thea) for the super fun Tagaytay trip. :).

So basically, I'm thankful for 2008. The friends, the family, the professors, the random people on the streets... I've had both David and Dacanay in the same sem, and now I have Bulatao and De Castro. I had Dr. Liwag and Dr. Gueco, now Harvey Keh... Wow... I'm lucky to have such cool people instructing me. The grade is hell though... *sigh* anyway.. Thanks 2008.

No comments: