Saturday, March 29, 2008

HARAJUKU IN NEW YORK: MIC IN COSPLAY (On G2Con and PCosCon)

I apologize in advance to whoever reads this and is offended because they are one of the people who touched Naruto's nipples. 


HARAJUKU IN NEW YORK: MIC IN COSPLAY

Late last year, I was invited to attend the 2007 G2CON or the Games and GadgetsConvention which was held in Gateway mall. I didn't formally attend, but I stopped by for a bit to say hi to a friend of mine. My initial reaction upon arriving was in my thinking similar to how a Harajuku girl would react in corporate America. The whole area was littered with cosplayers, anime statuettes, and memorabilia shops. It was like being in some alien world, except that Starbucks was right there. 

Naruto

Enjoying my way around, I noticed a life sized mannequin of the anime character Naruto. He with him his usual clothing, which is the orange jacket and trousers, and the ninja headband. This would be a usual sight in these gadget and anime conventions, but what was most disturbing of this particular piece of work is that his jacket was dangling off his shoulders, revealing a six pack and oblique lines that I never knew a 12 year old ninja could have. To top off my encounter with the Naruto figure posed like a stripper, a group of male cosplayers dressed as high school girls and a photographer in tight black clothes stopped to run their fingers down Naruto's abs, up from Naruto's nipples, finally tracing down his obliques. I believe pedophilia should be reprimanded whether in actual or imaginary children. The only saving grace for that awkward experience was when a mother in her 30's, who was clutching her toddler, walked toward the Naruto figure and fixed and buttoned his jacket back to place as to cover his torso. She then smiled, nodded her head, and walked away. I imagine Naruto's mother, bless her departed soul, would probably do the same. 

Cosplay Convention

Fast forward to a few months after the G2CON. It's March 2008, and I had just finished my final exams. I visit Robinson's Manila after a long hiatus with the mall in order to visit the newly constructed annex. As I enter the modern looking structure which although chic, still maintains the aura of a Robinson's mall, I am surprisingly transported back to corporate America as a Harajuku girl. There are cosplayers everywhere. The first thing that popped into my mind was the movie 28 days later. The virus must be spreading. I seemed to have unknowingly walked into the 1st Philippine Cosplay Convention. I couldn't possibly enjoy strolling around the mall with all my favorite fictional animated heroes walking around, so I decided to just sit quietly on one of the empty seats around the convention area. Observing from a fixed perspective has it's good points. I got to see Tsokoleyt, the gay actor, dressed as "Dark Magician Girl" from Yugi-Oh, of course baring his thighs for the world to see. There were many other interesting costumes there, including a well made Iron Man costume made from cardboard. I almost punctured the costume. 

So We Meet Again

My observing of the general public was halted by the sight of a familiar undressing statue near the convention's entrance. Ah, chistled-abs Naruto. We meet again. As I walked closer to my seemingly molested friend, two thoughts came into mind. Maybe the statue's owners meant for Naruto to expose himself in this manner, out of some unconscious desire for sex with the character, or maybe this particular Naruto statue is meant as a beacon to attract gay and female cosplayers from all over. Whatever the reason for the owner's displaying Naruto in such a light, there can be no good intentions seen in it. It's as if they're pimps selling you a whore a bit more expensive than the rest because she shares some resemblance with anne Curtis or Angel Locsin. Plus, she can do the Ping-pong thing. Too bad no mothers came along this time. A message to chistled-abs Naruto's owners: get a Naruto inflatable sex doll already. Please. 

No comments: